Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Happy Birthday, Stinkerbelle

Four years ago today, my world changed forever. It sounds so cliche to say that, but it is true in so many ways. Becoming a mom is something I dreamed about for many years... How much fun a little one would be.

For me it was love at first sight. Lucy came into the world and it was as if everything was louder, brighter, more amazing.

The first year was full of dressing her in cute little clothes, playing silly games, sweet hugs, and slobbery open-mouthed baby kisses. She was so easy going and sweet. I was still working and we filled every free moment with Lucy time!

The second year brought more fun and more independence. Lucy became quite the chatterbox and never met a stranger. I was able to quit my job and make being a mommy my full time career. We enjoyed many pool days, park days, outings to the store, and lots of cuddles and playtime.
The third year was busy, busy, busy. We had so much fun. It was the year Lucy became a big sister. When baby sister Gracie was born it was such a wonder to watch Lucy become a sweet, protective big sister. To hear those sisterly giggles warms my heart. Lucy discovered princesses and became very girly. She was very adamant about what she wore, usually only skirts or dresses for her... In fact she wore the same blue dress for almost 3 months.
The fourth year has been an eye opener... Every day she shows me her heart of gold, while challenging me with a quick mind and a tad too much attitude (ie. The nickname Stinkerbelle). She is usually quick to point out her wrong doings and to say she is sorry. She is so smart. I am amazed daily by the things she says and does. She wants to be a chef/artist/mommy/doctor/scientist when she grows up. Gracie adores her and wants to be just like her big sis, but Lucy is always patient and understanding. She rarely gets upset and usually takes the time to help Grace.She has become even more independent, but always the first with an I LOVE YOU or a hug.

I can only imagine what her fifth year will hold. Hopefully, all the happiness, fun, and carefree times only a four-year old little girl could wish for! I hope her compassion, confidence, exuberance for life, and happiness know no bounds this year.

As I watch Lucy (and Gracie too) grow and experience life, I find myself caught up in the wonder and amazement of childhood. I get excited about the rain, snow cones on a hot day, little baby inch worms, conquering the monkey bars. For me one of the best things about being a mom, is getting to experience all these things again, while having the knowledge of how important and special they are. Knowing that the little things in life are what make it great!

Happy 4th Birthday, My sweet Lucy!
I love you past the stars and back...

3 comments:

Melisa said...

Happy Birthday Lucy! We can't wait to see you in August. Have a great day.

Rachel said...

Happy Birthday you adorable Miss. Lucy!!!
Miss O can't wait to see her bestest buddy Lucy again!!

natalienicole said...

beautifully written, erin!
happy birthday to your baby big girl! (i say this because i can't get the thought out of my head about z not being my baby anymore.)