Tuesday, February 24, 2009

A Gumbo Lesson

Being 1/4 cajun, I ate A LOT of gumbo growing up. We tended to eat it at holidays, family get togethers, just about any excuse we could come up with. My grandmother, MawMaw, was a gumbo genius.

I am not talking about your typical (fancy) gumbo, you would find at a nice restraunt. Her gumbo was straight out the backwoods of Louisianna. It consists of very basic ingredients, roux, onions, chicken or shrimp. It is probably what most would consider "poor man's" gumbo. From the simplest pantry items comes an amazingly yummy creation.

Maw Maw could make some serious gumbo. When I got married many years ago, I was given a great kitchen shower. Each guest was asked to bring their favorite recipe to add to a recipe box for me, the blushing bride. My grandmother lovingly wrote out her recipe for gumbo for my collection. For years, I have looked at the recipe and moved on, too intimidated to try and make Maw Maw's gumbo.

My Maw Maw passed away in November. I have thought of her often over the last few months. Since today is Fat Tuesday, I decided to pulled out that recipe and attempt my first foray into gumbo making.

I think it tastes a little like salty water with some chicken thrown in. I am sure Maw Maw is looking down from heaven and telling me that my roux wasn't dark enough. And that I cooked it too fast. And that it will take about 1000 more tries to get even close to being as good as her's.

One thing that I did learn, is that gumbo making is a labor of love. It takes patience, determination, and confidence. Maw Maw had all these qualities in abundance.

I can only imagine the number of grease burns she experienced over the years, just to show us all how much she loved us with a steaming bowl of gumbo.

1 comment:

natalie said...

Good for you for tackling that! I have a friend from Louisiana and we had a major discussion on the rights and wrongs and the different types of gumbo. She made us some awesome gumbo for our night out a couple of months ago. YUMMY!!!