Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Spring has Sprung - Texas Style

One of my favorite Texas traditions is bluebonnet pictures each spring. I have taken the girls pictures each year (except Lucy's first) and look forward to it all winter.

This year we found an awesome place for pictures. There is a little old man in a nearby town that invites people to take pictures in his field of bluebonnets in front of his house. He came out to talk to us this morning while I was taking the girl's pictures. He said that his dad planted the seeds over 20 years ago and he has been taking care of them since his dad passed in the 90's.

A couple of years ago, he and his wife were travelling to the hill country and he noticed all the people on the side of I-10 taking pictures in the bluebonnets. He was so impressed that he decided to open his patch to the public for picture taking the next year.

He had an adorable sign (wish I had thought to take a picture) that invited everyone to take a picture. His only two requests were to not trample the flowers for the next people and that you would bring him back a picture (He has a little box next to his gate.) to be included in his yearly scrapbook.

What a kind hearted man! I am so glad we found this spot and plan to make it part of our tradition from now on.... And you better believe I will be driving a picture back to him next week!!!

If anyone is interested in joining us, I think we are going to go back next week...

And now for the pictures....

5 comments:

natalie said...

Wow, that is awesome! Makes me want to get in the car and drive there. Great pics as always! Looking forward to seeing the Varnell's next week.

Melisa said...

Erin,
Those are so cute. I wish I could find a place like that. It makes me very nervous to stop on the side of the road. Plus my mom says that snakes like to hang out in bluebonnets.....yikes! But the photos are precious.

Rachel said...

The girls look adorable!! Love their outfits!

I'm still looking for bluebonnets out here!!

What a wonderful man ;-)

Sabrina said...

The girls are so cute! My favorite is the one of them hugging! I am jealous you met the man--his sign is too adorable!!!! I really want to try ours again but can't seem to find the time!!! I heart your pics!

Afton said...

Hey, I can't believe after all the times I've been meaning to tell you thank you for the beautiful pictures I forgot when I saw you today! I was a little spacey, my two kids were ready an hour before for bed, so I was in go mode. ANyway, thanks for the darling pics you took, the lighting was great and the angles, I love how you captures them! That was so nice of you to do, we'll keep em forever. I also love your horsey cookies, I don't konw how you did all those! Patience!!